How to Create a Template
- On the left-hand nav bar, hover over Templates and click the Add (“
- The Project Templates page is where you’ll enter details and create tasks for your template. First, add a Template Name; this field is required in order to save. You can also add an optional Description; including common markdown syntax to add formatting to the text in this field.
- If you want this template to be accessible only to you, deselect the Shared checkbox.
- Next, add a Duration.
- If the template is for a financial project, enter the Budget and Currency. Otherwise, for non-financial projects, deselect the Budgeted checkbox.
- If you’re using unnamed resources as placeholders to indicate demand for roles before you know who can fill them, click on the Resources tab. Here, you’ll be able to add your first resource label (e.g. Designer) by clicking in the Label field. To create additional unnamed resource labels, click the Add Resource button.
- Add tasks to the template on the Tasks tab by clicking the Add Task button and entering details such as the name (required), Description, Budget, and Time.
- The Start date is the number of days into the project that the task will begin. If you want to create a Start day that predates the day you apply the template, just enter it as a negative value.
- The Duration represents the number of work days that the task should take to finish. If a task has subtasks associated with it, you’ll only be able to set a Duration on the subtask because dates always roll-up to the parent.
- To create a subtask, click the left side of a task and drag it to the right.
You can assign a task to any unnamed resource you’ve added to the Resources tab by clicking in a task’s Resources field and selecting a label from the drop-down menu; you can also enter estimated hours for the task.After an unnamed resource has been assigned to a task in the template, the total number of Assignments and Estimated Hours will now appear to the right of the resource label in the Resources tab. After you create a project from the template, you'll be able to assign an actual user to each unnamed resource and they’ll be invited to your project and assigned to the task.
- Click the More icon to add a Checklist or mark the task as Non-billable.
WHAT THE MAVENS KNOW
After you create tasks in the Project Template, you can click the Gantt tab to get a visual representation of the Start and Duration of the tasks; when you set dependencies and edit task dates in the Gantt chart, the changes will be reflected in the template.
For more information about how dependencies work, please see our article on Gantt Chart Dependencies.