How to Create a Template
- On the left-hand nav bar, hover over Templates and click the Add (“
- The Project Templates page is where you’ll enter details and create tasks for your template. First, add a Template Name; this field is required in order to save. You can also add an optional Description; include common markdown syntax to add formatting to the text in this field.
Note: Each project template has a 100,000 Character Limit. This amount is an accumulation of all fields in the template. Your current character amount will update when you click Save.
- To make the template available to other account members, click the Sharing drop-down and select either Shared (View Only) or Shared (Can Edit).
Note: An account administrator can edit templates that have the Shared (View Only) option selected, even if they aren't the template owner.
- Next, add a Duration.
- If the template is for a financial project, enter the Budget and Currency. Otherwise, for non-financial projects, deselect the Budgeted checkbox.
- Add tasks to the template on the Tasks tab by clicking the Add Task button and entering details such as the name (required), Description, Budget, and Time.
- The Start date is the number of days into the project that the task will begin. If you want to create a Start day that predates the day you apply the template, just enter it as a negative value.
- The Duration represents the number of work days that the task should take to finish. If a task has subtasks associated with it, you’ll only be able to set a Duration on the subtask because dates always roll up to the parent.
- To create a subtask, click the Drag (" ") icon no the left side of a task and drag it to the right.
- Click the More (" ") button to add a Checklist or mark the task as Non-billable.
- If you’re using unnamed resources as placeholders to indicate demand for roles before you know who can fill them, click on the Resources tab.
Alternatively, you can click the Add Resources field to be directed to the Resources tab if no resources have been added to the template.
Note: In the Resources tab, you’ll be able to add your first template resource role (e.g., Sr. Software Engineer) and template resource label (e.g., Front End Web [React Js]). Only the roles that you’ve created in Settings > Roles will be available in the Add Role drop-down. Each role can be mapped to a named or new unnamed resource when you create a project from this template.
- Click in the Add Role field to access a drop-down menu where you can select an account role to add to the project.
Note: Roles are only required for unnamed resources; they can be added later to existing named resources.
- To add an additional unnamed resource to the project template, click the Add Resource button.Selecting a role will auto-populate a Resource Label with the same name as the role; you may change it if you’d like. If you don’t supply a Resource Role, click in the Add Label field to add a Resource Label.
- You can assign a task to any unnamed resource you’ve added to the Resources tab by clicking in a task’s Resources field and selecting a label from the drop-down menu; you can also enter estimated hours for the task.After an unnamed resource has been assigned to a task in the template, the total number of Assignments and Estimated Hours will now appear to the right of the resource label in the Resources tab.
- To begin creating a project from this template, click the Project from Template button on the top right. After you create a project from the template, you'll be able to assign an actual user to each unnamed resource and they’ll be invited to your project and assigned to the task.
WHAT THE MAVENS KNOW
After you create tasks in the Project Template, you can click the Gantt tab to get a visual representation of the Start and Duration of the tasks; when you set dependencies and edit task dates in the Gantt chart, the changes will be reflected in the template.
For more information about how dependencies work, please see our article on Gantt Chart Dependencies.
- Project Templates Overview
- Create a New Project
- Global Tasks List
- Task Tracker
- Create a Template
- Share a Template
- Clone a Template
- Apply a Template to a Project
- Create a Project from a Template
- Create a Template from a Project