This report shows activity for a specific project, including a breakdown of billable and non-billing time, top personnel, time spent on each task, deliverables, milestones, issues, and more.
Project managers can use this report to get a very detailed breakdown of an individual project to see how much has been invoiced and paid, how much has been invoiced and is pending payment, and how much of what hasn’t been invoiced is time and materials (T&M) or fixed fee (FF). When necessary, this is a great report to export and share with clients.
You can filter the Project Details report in the following ways:
- Date Range—Use the from and to fields to specify a start and end date between which data is retrieved for the report. Most Analytics reports require that you specify a date range in order to generate a viable report. If you leave the Date Range fields blank, all of the selected project's tasks are included in the report. Otherwise, select one of the following:
- Task Active—Only tasks for the selected project that were "active" (meaning any time in between the Start Date and Due Date of the task) within the specified date range are included in the report.
- Task Starting—Only tasks for the selected project that have a Start Date within the specified date range are included in the report.
- Task Due—Only tasks for the selected project that have a Due Date within the specified date range are included in the report.
- Time Tracked and Expenses—Only tasks for the selected project that have time or expenses logged between the specified date range are included in the report.
Note: While the number of total expenses are tallied, their dollar amounts are not included in the report totals.
- Organizations—When enabled, Organizations can limit visibility or categorize project data in standard Analytics reports, so you can see how specific departments or regions are performing. Simply choose an available Department and/or Geography to include them in the report. For more information, see our Organizations in Analytics Reports article.
- Project (required)—A project must be selected to generate a Project Details report.
- Type—Any tasks for the selected project with this Task Type are included in the report. Choose from Task (“ ”), Deliverable (“ ”), and Milestone (“ ”), and Issue (“ ”).
- Status—Any tasks for the selected project with this Task Status are included in the report; this also includes the special statuses designated for Issue Task Types.
- Display—You can include All tasks (by selecting Only Uninvoiced Time Entries) or only tasks with uninvoiced, actual fees for time and materials (T&M) tasks. Fixed fee tasks and previously invoiced fees are not included in this report.
- Budget Range—If you specify a minimum and maximum amount in the Budget Range fields, the report will only include tasks that have a task budget that falls within that range. If you leave the Budget Range fields blank, all project tasks are included in the report.
How to Generate the Report
It is recommended that you double-check the selected report filters (above) before generating or exporting the report.
- Generate Report—Click this button to generate the report using the selected criteria. After a few seconds, the report results will appear below the filters in the Mavenlink interface. You can then "save" the report by exporting it as an XLS or CSV file.
- Reset Report—Clears the selected filter criteria and resets the report to its empty, default state.
- Export Report—Report data (filtered by your selection criteria) is automatically exported to an XLS (Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet) or CSV (Comma Separated Values) file and saved to the default folder for downloaded files on your computer.
How to Read this Report
A generated Analytics report is typically divided into sections containing charts and tables; often, a report header containing summary information, followed by details that make up the body of the report. Depending on the combination of selected filters and attributes, each report can be broken down (i.e., sliced and diced) to surface specific trends or interesting patterns.
Here's how to read what appears in a generated Project Details report:
After generating a Project Details report, the following information is displayed:
The Project Details report includes a summary that provides totals, variances, and the distribution among all different task types. It also shows the difference between billable and non-billable time.
- Hours Tracked—Shows the total number of Billable and Non-Billable hours tracked on the selected project's tasks within the specified date range. This includes both the hours tracked against specific tasks and hours not tracked against tasks.
- Budget—The total budget for the project with an orange progress bar showing how much of the budget has been burned up.
- Invoiced - Paid—Total dollar amount of time and materials (T&M) and fixed fee (FF) tasks that have been invoiced and paid.
- Invoiced - Unpaid—Total dollar amount of time and materials (T&M) and fixed fee (FF) tasks that have been invoiced, but not yet paid.
- T&M Uninvoiced—Total dollar amount on time and materials (T&M) tasks that have not yet been invoiced.
- Fixed Fee Uninvoiced—Total dollar amount on fixed fee (FF) tasks that have not yet been invoiced.
- Total—This is the total dollar amount of all invoiced and uninvoiced time and materials (T&M) and fixed fee (FF) tasks (essentially the sum of the four previous bullets).
- Remaining Budget—The difference between the project budget and the total amount of all invoiced and uninvoiced tasks. If the number is red, it indicates that you've exceeded your budget.
- Tracker— Tallies the total number of deliverables (“ ”), tasks (“ ”), milestones (“ ”), issues (“ ”), time entries (“ ”), and expenses or invoices (“ ”) on the project over the specified date range.
- Top Personnel—Shows the team members who spent the most time on the project within the specified date range.
The table shows a simplified work breakdown structure (WBS) for the project that was selected for the report; parent-level tasks with subtasks underneath.
- Task / Category—The task name appears alongside the associated task type icon: Task (“ ”), Deliverable (“ ”), and Milestone (“ ”), and Issue (“ ”).
- Bill As—This shows whether the task was billed as time and materials (T&M) or fixed fee (FF).
- Assigned—The team members currently assigned to each task in the report.
- Start / Due Date—If dates are provided, shows the start and due dates for each task in the report.
- Billable / Non-Billable—Shows the distribution of billable and/or non-billable time tracked on each task.
- Estimated Time—Compares the task's current billable and non-billable time against the task estimate so you can see if particular tasks are running over on your project. Each task's hours estimate can be set in the Time & Fees > Time section of the Task Details side panel.
- Actual Fees vs Budget—This progress bar shows the burn rate for actual fees versus task budget. Each task's budget can be set in the Time & Fees > Budget section of the Task Details side panel.
- Status—Displays an abbreviated status for each task in the report (e.g.,
•CO); this also includes the special statuses designated for Issue Task Types.