The Master Planning page is divided into two main sections; to the right side of your resources and projects list is a interactive timeline referred to as the Allocations Timeline. Each colored bar is a visual representation of how your resources are allocated over a selected period of time.
- When grouped by Team Member, the timeline provides an overview of workloads and availability. The percentage of time and number of hours allocated to each resource is shown and you can immediately identify those who are overallocated.
- When grouped by Project, the timeline displays the amount of time allocated to each resource. At a glance, you’ll be able to see workloads and availability across multiple projects, as well as up-to-date budget projections.
Regardless of view, the Allocations Timeline allows you to swiftly manage change by moving, extending, reassigning, or deleting allocations.
What's an Allocation?
The colored bars in the timeline are visual representations of an allocation.
- Allocation—An allocation is how much a resource is “planned" or "allowed” to work on a project based on who’s available and/or most capable of performing the work. There are two main types of allocations:
- Hard Allocation—A solid bar in the timeline represents a hard allocation; this means that a team member has been “confirmed” or “booked” to work on the project.
- Soft Allocation—A striped bar in the timeline represents a soft allocation; this means that a team member or unnamed resource is tentatively “penciled in” to work on the project; an unnamed resource is always soft allocated.
- Overallocated—An overallocation occurs when a team member's (soft/hard) allocations have exceeded their capacity for any period of time across all the member's projects. A team member's capacity is determined by their Custom/Default Workweek and Holiday Calendars. Overallocated resources are highlighted in red.
- Scheduled—A thin, solid line at the bottom of an allocation represents that a resource has scheduled hours for task(s) in a project. Hovering over this thin line will show you the total number of hours scheduled for each day, week, or month—depending on your view. These hours can be adjusted based on what the project manager believes is necessary to complete a project via the Resource Planner.
- Unavailable—The compactly-striped gray bars represent days that a resource is unavailable for work (e.g. holidays and weekends). Unnamed resources use the Mavenlink default workweek/holiday calendar. Team members use the calendars assigned to them based on their department or geography.
- Time Off—Scheduled time off is represented by a small, gray triangle in the upper-left corner of a day in the timeline. If a day with time off is also marked as Unavailable, it means that the team member has all of their available capacity for that day scheduled as time off.
Just above the timeline is a header that indicates the current month and year with some calendar controls and a date picker.
If you want to jump to a specific time, just click the calendar icon (“ ”) and select a day, or use the forward (“ ”) and back (“ ”) arrows to scroll through dates.
To view the allocations by day, week, or month, click the D (day), W (week), or M (month) icon. No matter what view you’re in, you can always click Today to return to today’s date.
To the right of the calendar controls, you’ll see an Actions (“ ”) icon; clicking this will open up Display Preferences for the timeline.
The Hours View Preference section gives you three choices for viewing the timeline:
- Allocated Hours—The bars on the timeline will display how each resource is allocated over a selected period of time, in both percentage of time and number of hours allocated.
- Compare Scheduled vs. Allocated—The bars on the timeline show the allocated hours for each project or team during a selected period with a small Scheduled Hours row directly below it.
- Scheduled Hours—Displays only the hours that team members are scheduled to work on project tasks.
Using the Timeline
When viewing allocations on the timeline, you'll see the percentage of a resource’s total available working hours that are allocated for the selected time period. This view also makes it possible to pinpoint exactly where and when a resource is under- or overallocated.
To change the allocation dates (but keep the allocation percentage the same), click in the middle of the bar and drag it to a new position on the timeline. Master Planning automatically accounts for weekends and holidays.
If you want to extend or shorten the allocation, click and drag the handles at either end of the bar and drag. This will only change the hours (not the percentage) allocated to the resource.
Note: You have the ability to scroll horizontally left and right through the timeline using the forward (“ ”) and back (“ ”) arrows, horizontal scroll gesture on a touch/trackpad, or side-scrolling mouse.
- Master Planning Overview
- Master Planning: Resource List Overview
- Master Planning: Allocations Timeline Overview
- Master Planning Filters
- Master Planning Display Preferences
- Time Off Overview
- Add a Resource to a Project
- Edit a Resource
- Change a Resource to Named or Unnamed
- Delete a Resource
- Add an Allocation to a Resource
- Edit an Allocation
- Change an Allocation to Soft or Hard
- Delete an Allocation
- Shift Allocations
- How to Add Time Off
- Submit a Resource Request
- Approve or Reject a Resource Request