The Smart Upload Manager is an additional feature for Kantata. For access, please contact your Client Success Manager.
To assist you in learning more about the Smart Upload Manager, visit the Smart Upload Manager Training Courses.
The Smart Upload Manager is a tool designed to help automate the import of data from CSV files into Kantata OX. With SUM, you can use CSV files to:
- Update Project Lead Functionalities—The current project lead gets promoted, leaves, the company, or otherwise is no longer performing project lead functions and you need to assign them to role-related functionalities and projects. The SUM allows you to update the project lead to a new person and add them to their respective projects with only 2 data set uploads as opposed to clicking through many projects, allowing your users to continue delivering work with minimal interruption.
- Add or Update New Custom Fields Across Objects—You have added a new custom field that needs to be updated across existing projects, tasks, users, etc. The SUM allows you to update multiple fields across many objects in a single blueprint which expedites custom field currency.
- Update Tasks Across Multiple Projects—You need to update month-end tasks for processes for financial and billing metrics such as financial period closure, task budgets, percent complete, end dates, and other data points. The SUM allows you to update all desired tasks across multiple projects in a single blueprint to accelerate the monthly close processes such as invoicing, revenue recognition, and other financial processes on a deadline.
The Smart Upload Manager currently supports the following Kantata objects:
You can upload and import any combination of the above objects; however, only one of each object can be imported per process.
The following concepts can help you understand how the Smart Upload Manager validates and processes data:
- Data Set—A specific Kantata object (see table above) and the corresponding CSV file that is uploaded, processed, and validated is considered a "data set". All objects added to a blueprint appear as tabs to the right of the blueprint's Home tab below the blueprint name. You can only have one of each object (i.e., "data set") per blueprint (e.g., Project Allocations). You can only process and validate one CSV file per data set.
- Blueprint—A blueprint is a collection of data sets. Once CSV files have been uploaded to each data set, the entire blueprint is processed and validated (i.e., "imported").
Accessing the Smart Upload Manager
- Go to https://smartuploadmanager.com/
- Select Sign in with Mavenlink.
- If you’ve signed in previously, you’ll be taken to the Smart Upload Manager Home page.
- or -
If you haven’t signed in before, you’ll be taken to an OAuth Authorization page, which asks to authorize the Smart Upload Manager to access your Kantata account. Select Authorize to allow access.
- Once authorized and signed in, you’ll be taken to the Smart Upload Manager Home page. This page will show a sortable table of your accounts blueprints. If this is the first log in and there are no blueprints on your account, the table will be empty.
Creating a Blueprint
- Click +New Blueprint in the left navigation bar.
- On the New Blueprint page, enter the blueprint name.
- Select each object you want to add to the blueprint."
You cannot add more data sets after starting the blueprint.
- When you are finished, select Start Blueprint.
- The Home tab within the newly-created blueprint page appears. To the right of the Home tab will be a tab for each selected object (e.g, Projects, Tasks, Time Entries); these are where you’ll upload your CSV files to import data.
The new blueprint, along with the 5 most recent blueprints created in Smart Upload Manager, will also appear in a list under Recent Blueprints in the left navigation bar.
Uploading to Data Sets
DATA SET TEMPLATES
Certain fields are required for each scenario in order to import the data into Kantata correctly. Please refer to the Smart Upload Manager Data Set Templates to see which fields are required.
- In the left navigation bar, hover over Blueprints, and then select the blueprint to which you want to upload a data set. The Blueprint Home tab displays by default.
- On the Blueprint page, select the tab that correlates to the object you want to upload a data set or CSV file to.
- Upload a data set by selecting Upload CSV or clicking and dragging the CSV file from your computer into the outlined box.
CSV FILE TEMPLATES
If needed, select Download Template to download a dataset-specific template for use or reference. Downloading the template for the data set will not include any custom fields you may have on that object.
- The CSV file successfully uploads. The data set status changes from Created to Uploaded, and the correlating object tab icon turns green.
- The data set you uploaded displays the rows and columns from the CSV in a grid on-screen. Larger data sets will be displayed on multiple pages, with ten rows per page. You can use the pagination located at the bottom of the display to navigate through the data set.
- After successfully uploading your CSV file, you can now perform the following actions:
- Replace—Delete any uploaded CSV file for that data set. This process allows you to upload a CSV file again.
- Export Data Set—Exports and downloads the currently existing data.
Validating a Blueprint
- In the left navigation bar, hover over Blueprints, and then select the blueprint you want to validate.
- Select Validate. The validation process begins across all of the data sets for consistency and integrity.
STOP BLUEPRINT VALIDATION
Validation can be stopped by clicking Stop on the Blueprint Home tab. Blueprints can be validated again if stopped partway through.
- Once the validation has run its course, each data sets’ status will be updated to Validated or validated_with_errors.
- Validated—Your blueprint has been successfully validated. The validator checks for data between data sets and within Kantata OX itself. This process may take some time to complete depending on the size and amount of data. Successful validation is indicated by a green checkmark.
- Validated_with_errors—If your blueprint status is “validated_with_errors”, the data sets will show which rows have errors on screen, indicated by a red exclamation mark. Click on the ( ) icon to see the specific error message in a pop-up window. This pop-up window may contain more than one error message. The blueprint errors can be corrected by updating the CSV file or within Kantata OX. If the CSV is updated, click Replace to upload the updated file. Once all errors are resolved, the blueprint must be validated again.
Processing a Blueprint
In order to process a blueprint, its status must be Validated. If your blueprint status is successfully validated, the validation timestamp and Process button appear on the blueprint home page.
- In the left navigation bar, hover over Blueprints, and then select the blueprint you want to process.
- Select Process within the blueprint Home tab to begin importing the data for your blueprint into Kantata OX. The Smart Upload Manager will begin making API calls to create or update records in Kantata OX.
Processing can be permanently stopped by clicking Cancel on the Blueprint Home tab. This will immediately end the importing of data and cancel the blueprint entirely. Data that was already imported will remain in Kantata OX. Canceling a blueprint will not undo or delete data already processed from that blueprint. A blueprint cannot be processed again after it has been canceled.
- Once processing is complete, the blueprint displays one of two statuses: Processed or Processed with errors.
- Processed—Your blueprint has been successfully processed within Kantata OX, and your data sets were imported into Kantata OX without errors. The records are created, updated, and visible in your Kantata OX account.
- Processed_with_errors—If your blueprint status is “processed_with_errors” one or more rows in a data set have failed to be imported into Kantata OX. Similar to the validation step, the data set will display which rows have failed indicated by a red exclamation mark. Select the ( ) to see the error message in a pop-up window. Select Export Data Set to export the data set to a CSV file containing any error messages generated during processing for insight.
BLUEPRINT PROCESSING WARNING
A blueprint cannot be uploaded, validated, or processed again after a finalized initial processing.
- Once your blueprint is successfully processed, it is complete and read-only. Data sets can be viewed and exported within their respective tabs.