Learn how to turn facts into metrics so that you can use Number and Currency custom fields in Insights reports.
In this video, you'll learn how to add custom field currency or number fields to a custom report within Insights.
Custom fields provide a way to add additional data to projects, tasks, users, and groups. Choice and Text custom fields are pulled into Insights as attributes, and can be added to custom reports without any additional setup. However, Number and Currency custom fields are pulled into Insights as facts and must be turned into metrics before they can be used in custom reports.
In this article, you'll learn how to turn facts into metrics so that you can use Number and Currency custom fields in Insights reports.
Note: You must have Can Edit capabilities in order to create custom metrics in Insights.
How to Add Number and Currency Custom Fields to Insights
- Hover over Insights in the left-hand nav bar and select any dashboard.
- When you arrive at the dashboard, a link to the Advanced Editor will appear below the dashboard name. Click Advanced Editor.
- You'll receive a confirmation dialog alerting you that the Advanced Editor is for experienced Insights users. To continue, click OK.
- In the app bar at the top of the Advanced Editor page, select the Manage tab.
- In the Data section located on the left, select Metrics.
- Once the list of metrics populates, click Create Metric at the top-right of the list.
- In the Metric Editor, select Custom metric.
- Enter a name for the custom metric.
We recommend starting your custom metrics with a special character (such as !) to differentiate them from standard metrics.
- In the editor, type
- In the Elements section to the right of the editor, select Facts.
- Search for the Number or Currency custom field that you'd like to create a metric for. The custom field will appear under a Custom Fields heading (e.g. Project Custom Fields).
- Select the fact name, then click Add Selected. The fact name is added in the editor.
- If you’re creating a metric for a Currency custom field, add
/100after the fact name. This will turn the currency fact from subunits (e.g. cents) into the base unit (e.g. dollars). For Number custom fields, skip this step.
- In the editor, type
). This closes the
- Click Add at the lower-right of the Metric Editor.
Note: If you receive an error, the error message will let you know which element the metric is missing. Review the previous steps to find where to add the missing element.
Once you finish creating the custom metric, it will appear in the What list in the report editor and can be added to reports like any other metric.
How to Share Custom Metrics
When you create a new custom metric, the custom metric is initially hidden and only you can see and use it in reports. To allow other people to use the custom metric, follow these steps.
- On the metric page, click Sharing & Permissions.
- Check Visible to all users.
- Click Save Permissions.
How to Move Metrics to Another Folder
You can place a custom metric in a specific folder to sort it with related metrics. (This is optional; if you don't move a custom metric to a folder, the metric will be in the Unsorted folder.)
- On the metric page, click Move To Folder.
- Select a folder.