AVAILABLE IN BETA
Kantata's new Project Permissions functionality and look is available on this page for those participating in the beta. For more information, see New Project Permissions [Beta & Early Access].
In Kantata OX, Account-level permissions determine a user's overall privileges and the areas for which they have access. Every time a user joins a project, they are also assigned individual Project-level permissions that determine what access and abilities they have within each project. Although these can be adjusted on a project-by-project basis, the initial Project permissions that each member inherits are based on their Account-level permissions.
Therefore, the Project Permissions Defaults page allows you to set the default permissions that users are granted when they join a project. You can map different project defaults for each Account Permission level, including the Provider or Client side of the project.
In this way, you can ensure that each member will enter a project with the proper access and permissions every time. Keep in mind that reconfiguring the Project Permissions Defaults does not limit or change the current Project-level permissions for members who have already joined a project.
How to Map Project Permission Defaults
- Hover over Settings in the left-hand nav bar and select Project Permissions Defaults.
- At the top of the page is the Permissions for Provider section, under which the Permissions for Client section is displayed. If you hover over an Information icon (“ ”) anywhere on the page, details about permission and access levels are shown.
Note: Since clients don't track Time & Expense, that option isn't available in the Permissions for Client section.
- In either section, use the drop-down menus in the Project Permission Level column to select the permission you want to map to the corresponding Account Permission Level.
- For members on financial projects with the Account-level permissions of Project Creator, Collaborator, and Punch Clock, only the project permissions of Contributor and Time & Expense are applicable. For example, a Collaborator mapped to Project Administrator by default will enter a financial project as Time & Expense and a non-financial project as Administrator. An invalid selection will default to the next lowest applicable project permission level.
- On non-financial projects for any account permission level, only Contributor and Project Administrator are applicable. For example, a Report Viewer mapped to the Financials project permission level by default will enter a financial project as Financials and a non-financial project as Contributor. An invalid selection will default to the next lowest applicable Project Permission Level.
- Use the selections in the Project Access column to choose whether users with the corresponding Account-level permissions should have View Only, Default Access, or Custom Access when joining a new project.
Note: Account and Project Administrators always have full access to track time, log expenses, post to the activity feed, and invite on projects. This cannot be adjusted.
- To allow members to schedule hours for a project, select an option(s) under the Can Schedule Hours column.
Self—A user at the selected permission level can schedule their own project hours.
Team—A user at the selected permission level can schedule project hours for team members.
- If you want team members to be able to invite other members to the project, check the Can Invite box.
Note: Creating Custom Access disables the Can Invite? checkbox.
Overriding the Project Permission Defaults
If the Default to View Only setting for an individual member is enabled in the Permissions section of the Account Members Details side panel, it will override any other Project Access that is set on this page.
For example, Angela is a Project Lead, and her Account Permission level equates to Default Access on a new project. However, in the Permissions section of the Account Members Details side panel, Angela's Default to View Only setting is enabled. Thus, regardless of the Project Permissions Defaults, Angela will enter a project with View Only access.
External Project Participants
The Project Permissions Defaults also gives you the ability to limit access to information by configuring the default permissions and access for External Project Participants.
- On the Provider side, External Project Participants are typically contractors.
- On the Client side, External Project Participants are typically clients.
Free users always default to Contributor with View Only access on the Provider side of a project and can never be higher.