Mavenlink expedites the time approval process by allowing you to give members with project Financials permissions (or higher) the ability to approve time.
When designating a time approver, you should assign a member who has a comprehensive understanding of the work that is being tracked. For example:
- If a user tracks time across multiple projects, their Manager may have a better understanding of the work they are doing.
- If a user is tracking time against a single project, then the Team Lead may be the best person to approve time. This is because the Team Lead is generally also the Project Manager and these individuals commonly understand the project requirements.
When time is submitted, the designated approver(s) can select the Your Approvals box in Time Approvals to view all time that they are responsible for reviewing.
Note: Time can not be submitted until you’ve enabled the Time entries must be approved before invoicing in a project’s Settings.
Keep in mind that regardless if you designate a time approver, anyone in the project with Financials permissions (or higher) will receive email notification and can take action when time is submitted. However, designated time approvers are usually the ones more directly responsible for taking steps to move the project forward.
Backup approvers can also be designated to approve time during a specified date range, in the event the original approver is out of the office.
This article will discuss the two different methods of designating time approvers:
- Manager approves time—Automatically adds an account member’s Manager to a project once the member clicks Submit for Approval on a timesheet.
- Project participant approves time—Allows you to designate up to 25 users to approve time for a project. Having more than one person responsible for time approvals guarantees that your workflow won’t grind to a halt if a designated approver is out sick or on vacation.
How to Designate Time Approval to a Manager
- Hover over Settings in the left-hand nav bar, and select Members.
- Select the member for whom you’d like to assign a Manager to approve time.
- When the Account Member Details side panel opens, select the Organizations tab.
- If this member isn’t already assigned a manager, select one from the Manager drop-down menu.
Note: Keep in mind that managers must have Report Viewer (or higher) permissions because they have access to the Your Approvals checkbox in Timesheets and Analytics Reports to track the progress and performance of their direct reports.
- Next, select the Manager Approves Time checkbox.
- Going forward, whenever this member submits time, their selected manager will be notified and can review, approve, or reject the submission.
How to Designate Time Approval to Project Participants
- Hover over Projects on the left-side nav bar. If the project you’re looking for doesn't appear in the Recent Projects section, click All Projects and find it in the Project List.
- In the project, click the Actions icon (“ ”) and select Settings. This option is only available to Project Administrators.
- On the Project Settings page, scroll down to the Approvals section.
Note: If you don't see the Approvals section, make sure that the Time entries must be approved before invoicing setting is enabled in the Financials section. Keep in mind that once enabled, these settings can only be disabled if there are no active submissions or approvals.
- Click on the Select a designated approver field under Project Approver(s) and select a user from the drop-down menu. You can designate up to 25 users to approve time for the project; these users must have Report Viewer (or higher) account permissions and have project Financials permissions (or higher) in the project.
- Going forward, whenever this member submits time, all designated time approvers will be notified and can review, approve, or reject submissions.
Note: If you do not have an account-level permission of Report Viewer or higher, you will only be able to approve time in the project's Activity Feed.