Welcome to the Mavenlink Insights Changelog! This is where you can see a summary of changes that our Product Development Team has made in Insights, starting from April 2016 to present.
Additions to the Insights LDM (Logical Data Model) can be used immediately in custom reports. Updates to the Standard Dashboard reports that include this new data are due out later this year.
August 28th, 2017
Report 'Save As' functionality is now available on your custom or cloned standard reports in the same way as it was available on our standard reports.
August 2, 2017
- Staffing report: Projects with no remaining estimated hours are no longer being filtered out.
- Two entirely new report tabs focused on giving Resource Managers and other owners of resources visibility into when resources are coming off of projects.
- Extended Rolloff Report: Long-term visibility to resources rolling-off of ALL projects (Final Rolloff). Represents each resource's last date where Scheduled Hours exist. A project specific Rolloff is included for more precise predictability on resource movement and potential margin leakage.
- Current Rolloff/Unscheduled: A calendar based view for a selected month where resources have a ‘Final Rolloff’ as well as a ‘Scheduled Hours Gaps” (Dead Days). The Estimated Potential impact to Revenue, Margin and Unscheduled (Dead) hours is highlighted for a sense of the magnitude of these ‘Gaps’.
Project Details Dashboard
- Open Tasks report: In the ‘Tasks Coming Due’ graph, the color scheme has been changed to reflect red "urgency" for tasks coming due within 7 days with color scale to green as the due date duration lengthens.
- Past Due and Future Outstanding report: New metrics have been created to decipher the remaining hours on a task based on a the users assigned the task and whether estimates are placed on user assignments per task or only at the task level. There is now a drill down to the assigned users on the task.
Time and Expense Admin Dashboard
- Time Audit Detail report: The 'Billable Time with Zero Bill Rates' drill down no longer filters out Fixed Fee Tasks. A flag has been put on the drill down to indicate which time entries are on Fixed Fee vs T&M tasks.
- Time Audit Summary report: Un-logged hours now show a ‘-’ when the actual hours meet or exceed the workweek hours.
Overall Report Modifications
- Task Status Flag has been updated to include the Issue type statuses. The Flag’s text colorization has also been updated for consistency, eg. Completed is Blue, Blocked is Red, In Progress is Green, etc. relative to the colors of Task Status drop downs throughout Mavenlink
- Several filter dependencies have been modified for Projects, Users and Tasks to keep each filter list to a manageable size. Fields that have more than 500 filterable items cannot be filtered so adding filter dependencies help to reduce the amount of items in the filter list. For example, by making the Projects filter dependent on the 'Project Archived?' filter, users can select ‘non-archived’ first, then the Project Filter will be a reduced list to only those projects.
July 11, 2017
Margin and Cost Dashboard
The Project Target Margin metric has been added to many of the Margin reports to measure actual vs. expected margin. There is a new project field to capture your target margin. You can update this field for an existing project using the Project Settings page. For any project where this field is not filled out, the default target margin is 50%.
June 16, 2017
The following attributes have been added to the Time Entry data set
- Bill Rate
- Cost Rate
Bill Rate and Cost Rate have been added to the Time Entry data set to allow for bill and cost calculations that are not impacted by rounding. This allows for more precise financial reporting in Insights
Story Active Days
Story Active Day is a new data set that contains a date entry for each day a task is active starting with its start date and ending on its due date. For a task to have these date entries, it must have a start date and a due date. These dates are stored in the Shared Date attribute. You must pull in a Story Active Day fact to your report to use the Shared Date for this data set. The two facts are Story Active Day Time Estimate In Minutes and Story Active Day Budget Estimate In Cents.
This new data set will allow for the following types of reporting:
- Distributing financial / fixed fee budgets across a date range. For example, Phase One starts January 1st and ends December 31st for a task duration of 365 days. We can break out the Budget of $300,000 per day, week, month, etc. to spread the total budget evenly over a date range
- Distributing estimated hours across a date range for resourcing purposes. For example, Phase One runs from January through March (3 months) for 90 hours. By distributing hours per month we can calculate approx. 30 hours/month of demand are needed in January, February, and March
- Easy calculation of task duration without weekends. We can now more easily calculate the number of days in a task that do not include Saturday and Sunday
May 22, 2017
During the exact time your data is getting loaded into your Insights project, the report header will show 'Loading...' rather than the last data load date and time. This indicates that the reports may not have all your data at this time. When viewing a report that shows the last data load date and time, all your data is represented as of that date and time.
Invoice Date (Date the invoice was created) has been added to the Shared Date attribute. This will allow for reporting project and task budgets against what has been invoiced.
New Organization specific facts will allow for utilization and project margin type reporting broken out by geography and department. Use these facts in the same manner as you would use the pre-existing non-'Org' version but to see the fact broken out per department and geography. Do not use these facts if you are not breaking out the facts by department and geography. If a user has 8 planned hours for today and the user has 2 geographies and 2 departments, the fact will show 32 hours for the user. When broken out for geography and department, it shows the proper 8 hours per combination. To report on only departments or only geographies, add a filter that narrows the report scope of the one you don't want to report on to 'All'. For example, if you want a report that shows Planned Minutes for each user in the North America geography, add a filter for Department = 'All (Whole Company)'. If you want a report that shows Planned Minutes for each user in the HR department, add a filter for Geography = 'All (Global)'. If you want a report that shows Planned Minutes for each user in the HR department for North America, no Org filter is needed.
- Planned Org Minutes
- SAD Org Bill Amount In Cents
- SAD Org Cost Amount In Cents
- SAD Org Time In Minutes
- Story Org Budget Estimate in Cents
- Story Org Time Estimate in Minutes
- TE Org Bill Amount In Cents
- TE Org Cost Amount In Cents
- TE Org Time In Minutes
- Workday Org Time In Minutes
March 29, 2017
The following attributes have been added to the Organization Pair data set. These attributes can be used as filters to view your department or geographic data that rolls up to the selected parent value.
- Org Department Parent Name
- Org Geography Parent Name
January 27, 2017
The following attributes have been added to existing data sets
- Rate Card Name - The name of the Rate Card as defined in the Financials section of the Project Settings page
- Project Client Name - Client name as defined in the Project Settings page
- Workspace Billable Default - The Project Settings page task default for Billable or Non-Billable
- Workspace Billing Mode Default - The Project Settings page task default for Time and Material or Fixed Fee
- Story Created At - The date/time the task was created
- Story Updated At - The date/time the task was last updated
January 6, 2017
Updates to existing Data Sets
- Expense Last Action By - This is the name of the user who last performed an approval or rejection action for the expense report. It will be empty for an expense that is not submitted, submitted or canceled.
- Time Entry Last Action By - This is the name of the user who last performed an approval or rejection action for the time-sheet. It will be empty for a time that is not submitted, submitted or canceled.
New Data Sets
Account Skill (Inventory of all skills defined for the account)
- Account Skill
- Account Skill Description
- Account Skill Id
- Account Skill Max Level
- Account Skill Name
- Account Skill Type
- Account Skill Created At date
- Account Skill Updated At date
User Skill (Skills assigned to users. Join this with the User to see skills for each user)
- User Skill Creator Name
- User Skill Id
- User Skill Level
- User Skill Max Level
- User Skill Name
- User Skill Type
- User Skill Created At date
- User Skill Updated At date
New Facts (Use in the same manner as you would use the pre-existing non-'Skill' version but to see the fact per skill. Do not use these facts if you are not breaking out the user's facts by skill. If a user has 8 planned hours for today and the user has 3 skills, the fact will show 24 hours for the user. When broken out for a skill, then it shows the proper 8 hours per skill)
- SAD Skill Bill Amount In Cents
- SAD Skill Cost Amount In Cents
- SAD Skill Time In Minutes
- Workday Skill Time in Minutes
- Planned Skill Minutes
December 13, 2016
The following date attributes are now available for you to use while building custom reports.
- Shared Approval Date: The date that the time or expense was approved
- Shared Cancellation Date: The date the submitter of the time or expense cancelled the submission
- Shared Rejection Date: The date the time or expense was rejected
- Shared Submission Date: The date the time or expense was submitted for approval. If the time or expense is later rejected or cancelled, it is considered no longer submitted and this date will be empty.
Projects, tasks, users and groups that contain no values in any of their custom fields will now be represented in your reports. There is no longer a need to make sure to put a value in one of the custom fields to see these on your reports.
November 21, 2016
The following data sets are now available for you to use while building custom reports.
- User Planned Workday: The new fact, Planned Workday Estimated Minutes, is a user's planned hours for a project as defined in Master Planning broken out in minutes per day of the week. This allows you to create reports comparing scheduled hours, planned hours, and actual hours on a daily, weekly, monthly basis.
- For the Time Entry data set, the values for the Status attribute have been modified to be more self explanatory: Empty value is now displayed as 'Unsubmitted' and 'New' is displayed as 'Pending'.
- There is a new attribute for the Workspace, Story, and User data sets that just contains the title or name (Workspace Title Attribute, Story Title Attribute, User Full Name Attribute). This allows you to pull in the project title, task title or user name and sort on this field.
- The Story data set now contains Story Creator Name which is the name of the user that created the task.
- The Invoice data set now contains invoice notes.
November 16, 2016
The user work day now takes into account a user's holiday calendar
November 1, 2016
The following data sets are now available for you to use while building custom reports.
New User Facts
User Billability Target
New Story Facts (Task)
Sub Stories Billable Time in Minutes
Sub Stories Budget Estimate in Cents
Sub Stories Time Estimate in Minutes
Sub Story Count
August 19, 2016
The following data sets are now available for you to use while building custom reports.
Top Level Story Id (top level parent task)
Workspace Status Completed At (Project completed date)
Status (approved, rejected, new)
Records of User Workday
Fact: Workday time in minutes
Our latest release of Insights gives you all new retainer based project reports, a KPI Dashboard, more metrics for added visibility into time and expenses, and complete alignment with the Mavenlink data security model with support for Organizations at the user level as well as at the project level.
Insights 2.0 will be available starting April 11th 2016. You do not need to do anything to take advantage of the latest enhancements. Your Insights will be automatically upgraded.
Retainer & Recurring Dashboard:
A new set of reports provide a framework for companies that desire comparisons of monthly and cumulative Fees (or Cost) against a stream of Invoices or against monthly budgets set on individual Tasks. An Inception-to-date report is also included that provides comparison of ‘Total Life Cycle’ comparison of various metrics.
This new dashboard provides the 6 Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) as discussed in the initial KPI questionnaire: % of projects completed on time, % of projects completed on budget, Utilization, Margin, Growth Rate, and Days of Sales Outstanding (DSO). This report looks at the performance values for the past three months in each of the 6 KPIs to allow you to quickly answer follow-up questionnaires. It shows the trends which will allow you to easily quantify the business improvements from using Mavenlink.
Note: These new dashboards come with the Admin Only security setting. To make these dashboards visible to your Insights users, go to Settings > Insights and configure the security settings for your needs. For more information on how to configure these settings, see Insights Dashboard Configuration.
On the Utilization & Planning dashboard, there is a new Utilization by Week Actual vs. Scheduled report. It is similar to the current monthly report.
There are three new time and expense analysis reports including actual, unsubmitted, unapproved, approved hours and dates. These can be used in your custom reporting.
You can now add the following metrics to your custom reports for even more analysis:
Time and Expense Submitted Date
Expense Created Date (Time Created Date already exists)
Time and Expense Notes (The first 255 characters of your Notes field will be brought over to Insights)
Support for Organizations:
If you are using Organizations in Mavenlink to structure users and projects, you can now add filters for the regions and departments per user as well as per project on your reports.
Fixed Fee Graphs Update:
On the Fixed Fee Tab, the Completed Date and Due Date values have been updated for drill down accuracy. The top graph, “Completed and Open Task Budgets” has been split into 2 separate graphs, “Completed Task Budgets” and “Open Task Budgets”. Additionally, the “Invoices Created by Shared Date” has been changed to “Invoices by Create Date” and only shows Invoice amounts. The Combined Task budget bar was removed.
Project Name is no longer getting truncated to 128 characters.
Time Analysis/By Week drilldown data correction
Resolve potential anomalies for Task reporting by ‘date’:
An existing standard ‘drilldown to task’ report and potential custom reports may have shown metrics differently than from a Project basis. This may occur when reports created with the ‘Shared Date’ and setup to view week-to-week or month-to-month at the Task level. For Tasks completed where their Complete Date is in a different period than the Due Date, metrics can show values in the Completed period vs. when executed. (Hours, Fees, etc). This has been resolved.
Customers on Insights v1.1
If you are currently on Insights version 1.1, you will also be seeing the following version 1.2 changes to your Insights Workspace:
Margin Calculations: With the myriad of ways Mavenlink clients use the system we’ve noticed that with certain combinations the Roll-up of Margins for Fixed Fee tasks may produce unexpected results at the Project level. Individual Task level margin calculations remain as intended. Most of the situations occur when there is a combination of Tasks with a Budget and Zero time throughout it’s life, while others have an “Empty” budget, yet time is being tracked. When rolling up these combined situations, the resulting margin was different than expected. Now this has been adjusted, and impacts mostly for Fixed Fee Tasks Margin report, and in a few cases, the Estimate-at-Complete margin report in the “Resource Schedule Method” Tab.
Utilization Headline Metric: On the Utilization (Actual and Scheduled) Dashboard, the Total Utilization calculation for an individual month both on the graph and the Table now correctly ignores any individual that has 0 time entries (same for scheduling) for that month. The individual may still be listed in the table for a Multi-month report, and you will notice that a particular month for someone may be empty. For example if you filter for a 4 month period and someone is 100% utilized for 2 of the months and has 0 time entries for the other 2 months, the calculation used to average that out to 50%. Now, the metric will notice the absent months and calculate 100% utilization. Please note that this only works for a month basis. Any time entered in a month will be considered ‘working in that month’ and, for example, if a team member starts in week 4 and charges 40 hours that week, the month will still appear as 25% utilized for that month.
Project Details: Open Tasks Tab:
Additional filters to allow more granularity of reporting on open tasks by User, Role, etc.
2 new charts that summarize the number of open tasks in an ageing fashion, both for past due and for future coming due.
Additional columns of information with drill down capability.
Project Status Color filter added to the Project Margin Method Tab. This allows for the filtering of, for example, only completed projects, or only open projects in a given status
Consistency with filters being applied to reports.
Better visibility of the download carat on reports.