In Mavenlink, projects and tasks are currently imported using templates. Templates are imported from .csv or .txt files in CSV format. To import your file, the following column headers must be included:
If you’re not sure what to include, you can click the Download our sample CSV file link and modify the sample template.
Once the data in your CSV file is matched and imported correctly, you can apply the imported project template to a newly-created project.
How to Import a Template From a CSV File
- On the left-hand nav bar, click Templates.
- Click Import CSV.
- On the Import Tasks From a CSV dialog box, click Choose a File. If you would like to work from a sample CSV template, click Download our sample CSV file.
- When you’re done uploading the CSV file, click Create Template.
- Your imported template will appear at the top of the list.
This section outlines common errors encountered when importing a template from CSV and how to fix them.
The CSV file contains more than 250 rows
This error appears when your CSV file has over 250 rows. Separate the CSV file into multiple CSV files with no more than 250 rows each, then import each CSV file. You can then apply the templates to a project.
The CSV file contains undefined column headers
This error may appear for the following reasons:
- Your CSV file has invalid characters in column headers.
- Your CSV file has extra columns.
Check that the column headers in your CSV file match the headers in the sample CSV file. Remove any extra characters or columns.
The CSV file does not contain the required column headers
This error appears when your CSV file has the wrong character encoding. To fix this error, save your CSV file with UTF-8 encoding.
- Open the file in a text editor such as Notepad or TextEdit.
- Click File > Save As.
- In the save window, select UTF-8 as the encoding.
- Save the file.
You cannot have a budget/time estimate on a non budgeted template on task
This error appears when you are on a plan without financial features and attempt to import a template with budget or time information. To fix this error, remove the budget and time columns from the CSV file.