With the Utilization Report, Account Administrators and Reports Viewers can quickly see how team members are performing across their organization. This report provides real-time reporting data on projected, actual, and billable utilization so you can make data informed operational decisions. Companies can reference this report when it comes time to determine important employee events such as promotions, bonuses, when to hire, or when to make the tough decision of letting an employee go. Our Utilization Report allows customers to see their team’s scheduled time compared to their actual time, the variance between the two, and a breakdown of billable hours -- all in real time.
How to read this report: In the screenshot below, if you look at Adam’s numbers in the Total Hours column you see that he was scheduled to work on the SureThing Video Production project for 14 hours but he actually worked 20 hours. That means he was under allocated hours and he worked 6 hours more than scheduled, which shows in the Variance.
When you look at his next project, QuickBooks Conference, he was scheduled for 12.3 hours, but actually worked 10 hours so he under worked 2.3 hours. This time his manager is disappointed because those were billable hours and he should have worked 2.3 hours more.
How to use this report:
- Fly out a team member to reveal project utilization details.
- For even greater detail, fly out a project to reveal task time and time tracked against the project.
- Filter the report by roles, project groups, date range, personnel, and projects.
- Export your report two ways:
- The default export is a 'collapsed' version, that only has user information and aggregates per user.
- The 'detailed' export breaks down the report for every project and task (including time logged to no task). Download this version by checking the 'Detailed' checkbox in the report filter controls before you click the Export drop down.
- Possible hours: show how many possible hours a person can work in time period where there are 8 hour work days.
- Total Hours: these are the total hours an employee has worked
- Billable Hours: the hours your employee worked that are billable
- Scheduled: hours you scheduled for them
- Actual: hours they actually worked
- Variance: the difference between the Scheduled and the Actual hours worked, also known as the difference between your plan and what actually happened.
- Unlinked: If you see a task that says “Unlinked” that means the employees logged time without linking it to a task. For example, if the employee is working on a project (and logging time) but there are no tasks matching a description of what they’re doing, or if there’s just no tasks set up in the project.
- Percentages: The Actual hours percentages are connected from the total Possible hours worked column.
Other important information:
- The report shows your time that shows up on projects that you’ve been allocated to work on or projects that you have worked on.
- The roles filter refers to account member’s roles (not project roles).
- Utilization is calculated by looking at the percent of possible hours (possible hours are based on a 40 hr work week) that were scheduled or worked (depending on whether you’re looking at scheduled utilization or actual utilization).
- The roles filter will help with the total utilization number reflecting resources who actually track time.
- You can filter the report by more than one role and the summary will reflect a roll-up of the data on the table.