Expenses can be logged in Mavenlink using a supported web browser or the mobile app. The following explains how to add expenses via web browser.
How to Log an Expense
- To log an expense in Mavenlink, hover over Time & Expense from the left-side nav bar and select Expenses.
- On the Expenses page, start by selecting a project name.
- Next, select a task and then set the Date and Amount. With Foreign Exchange enabled, the Amount field becomes a drop-down menu that allows you to convert the expense from one currency to another, based on your exchange table. Note: If you do not have the proper Foreign Exchange access, the currency Amount drop-down will be disabled.
- Choose an expense Category. Mavenlink has six default expense categories: Entertainment, Food, Lodging, Mileage, Travel, and Other. If you use Mavenlink's integration with QuickBooks, you can inherit additional expense categories from QuickBooks via sync. Otherwise, you can add, edit, or delete expense categories (even the defaults, except Other) via the Mavenlink API.
- If you need, you may add some optional Notes.
- Check the box if it’s Billable.
- If this expense is a vendor expense (one that is reimbursed to a vendor), uncheck the Reimbursable to me option. Since the majority of expenses are reimbursable to individuals, this option is always checked by default.
Note: You can disable this checkbox only if vendors are defined in the Vendors tab of your Time & Expense Settings.
- Disabling the checkbox causes a Vendor drop-down menu to appear to the right of the Reimbursable to me checkbox. Select the vendor who is to be reimbursed for the expense (i.e., directly paid by the company).
- If you have a receipt to upload, click the File button to open a standard operating system finder/explorer window and direct Mavenlink to the location of your receipt. Receipt images can be JPEG, GIF, PNG, or BMP (or any other image format that your browser supports).
- Click Save to add your expense to the table.
Note: This process doesn’t create an invoice or an expense report. To create an expense report, please see our Expense Report article.