The project Task Tracker is a project-specific list of tasks, deliverables, milestones, or issues that are required to complete a project. You can access the Task Tracker after selecting a project from the Projects List by clicking on the Task Tracker tab.
The Task Tracker keeps tasks and team members on track and on schedule; it provides transparency for clients and consultants to clearly understand both the work being performed and the timeline for completion.
On Task Tracker tab, you can perform the following:
- Create tasks, deliverables, and milestones
- Assign resources to project tasks
- Drag and drop tasks to manage projects (re-prioritize and nest)
- Specify project dates for project milestones (and sync them with Google Calendar)
- Quickly access the Task Details side panel, where you can view and manage activity posts, checklists, proofs, files, and attachments.
The Task Toolbar
Kantata OX Premier customers can select from the following views: Task Information, Task Progress, Task Finances, Resource Scheduling, Milestone Weighting, or Issue Tracking. These views give you an immediate look into a project’s status, start and due dates, allocated team members, estimated and actual hours, budget, and more.
If you need help locating a particular task, use the search bar or the filtering and sorting tools.
This will look at nearly all the fields on the task row or the Task Details side panel for matching information.
The following Sort options are available:
- Order (default)—Sorts your tasks in the order you’ve arranged them. If you haven’t moved any tasks, they will be sorted by date added, from newest to oldest.
- Priority—Sorted from highest to lowest priority level.
- Upcoming—Tasks with a status of Not Started are sorted by Start date, from the newest to the oldest. Tasks with a status of Started or Needs Info are sorted by Due date, from newest to oldest. When tasks have the same Start or Due date, the one with the most recent activity appears first. Tasks with an overdue Start date will always appear at the top.
- Updated—Sorts tasks by those with the most recent activity, in descending order.
- Added—Sorted by date added, from newest to oldest.
- Search—If you perform a search on the task's Search bar, this sort is automatically selected.
Cascade Changes to Dependencies
By default, the Cascade (“ ”) button—on the right-hand side of the main task toolbar—is inactive when you open the project Task Tracker.
When Cascade is active:
- Modifying a task Start Date will automatically cascade changes to dependent tasks so you don’t have to manually adjust the dates of all predecessors and successors.
- You can also cascade date changes to dependencies from the Task Details side panel, but only if it was opened from the project’s Task Tracker.
- Shifting task dates also shifts any scheduled hours allocated to a resource for that task.
- If you refresh the browser or leave and return to the project Task Tracker, the Cascade button will be inactive again.
The ability to cascade changes only works from the Local Gantt and the project Task Tracker; you cannot cascade changes from the Global Tasks List or the Task Details side panel if you open it anywhere other than the project Task Tracker.
The Task Row
Individual task rows show the task type, title, tags, assignees (project resources), status, and start and due dates. You can easily reprioritize tasks, create new top- and sub-level tasks, apply tasks from templates, and delete tasks.
Right-click anywhere on a task row to access to frequently-used task-related actions.
Type—This drop-down menu allows you to change an individual task type.
- Tasks are items that need to be completed.
- Deliverables are things that need to be produced, such as documents.
- Milestones are project deadlines, marking the completion of a phase or stage of a project.
- Issues are bugs or items that need to be resolved.
Tags—These are used to help identify specific keywords or topics and facilitate searches across projects in Kantata OX. Think of them as hashtags that help you reference and sort Kantata OX tasks, deliverables, milestones, or issues. For more information, please see our Tasks Overview article.
Assignees—These are the resources assigned to the task, responsible for performing the work. Members invited to the project can be assigned to any task in the tracker and each task can have multiple assignees. You can also select and view all unnamed resources that have been assigned to tasks via templates.
Start Date and Due Date
Changing the Start Date of a task will also change the task Due Date (if specified) while retaining the duration of the task (i.e., the number of working days needed to complete the task). Conversely, changing the Due Date of a task will not affect the Start Date; it only extends the duration of the task.
When a task has predecessor or successor dependencies (managed in the Local Gantt) and the Cascade (“ ”) button is active, adjusting the task’s Start Date will automatically cascade changes to any dependencies linked to the task.
If you adjust the Due Date of a task with multiple dependencies, only the duration of that task will change, but the duration for predecessor and successor tasks will remain unchanged. For more information, please see our article on dependencies.
With our Google Workspace Integration , all assigned start and due dates are automatically linked with your Google Calendar and Google Tasks list.
Task Details Side Panel
Click on the title of a task to open the Task Details side panel. From here, you can:
- Access and view counts of Activity posts, linked Files, Checklists, and more.
- In the Description field, you can write notes, add Tags, update the Status, and the Start/Due Date of the task at hand.
- If you have a Premier account and are logged in as a Project Administrator, you can set the budget and edit billable hours within the Time & Fees section.
- Project Workspace
- Tasks Overview
- Issue Task Types
- Nesting Tasks
- Task Details Side Panel
- How to Integrate Kantata OX with Google Tasks
Kantata OX API
- Stories (Tasks)
- Daily Scheduled Hours (Story Allocation Days)
- Story State Changes
- Story Tasks (Checklist)