Insights dynamic dashboards is the new reporting experience for Kantata OX’s Insights Business Intelligence Solution. Built on the same underlying data engine as classic Insights, Insights dynamic dashboards is an easy-to-use, modern interface that adjusts to the size of your screen.
ACCESS & AVAILABILITY
Insights reporting is available for Enterprise plans that meet the minimum user license requirement. To get started, please reach out to your Account Executive or Client Success representative, or email email@example.com.
Insights dynamic dashboards is the new reporting experience for Kantata OX’s Insights Business Intelligence Solution. Built on the same underlying data engine as classic Insights, Insights dynamic dashboards is an easy-to-use, modern interface that adjusts to the size of your screen. Featuring simpler, more intuitive dashboard building features, Insights dynamic dashboards is available alongside classic Insights—allowing you to choose the experience best tailored to your needs.
By default, only Account Administrators have access to Insights dynamic dashboards. Other users can be given access to dynamic dashboards through the Insights access group set.
Standard Dashboards and Reports
Insights dynamic dashboards comes with several standard dashboards and reports that provide information on key business metrics such as profitability, utilization, and staffing availability.
Using fees (billable hours * bill rate) as a representation of revenue, this dashboard provides insight into how roles and projects are performing financially against their forecast. This dashboard is intended for project managers, operations leaders, executives.
This dashboard gathers key project metrics and information in one place (actual hours, actual fees, fees burn, etc.), letting you identify at a glance which projects are healthy and which are at risk. This dashboard is intended for executives, portfolio owners, and project managers.
Projects: Task Detail
For an added level of detail of project health, this dashboard lets you dig into actuals vs. estimates, progress, and hours burn summarized by the top-level tasks within each project. This dashboard is intended for project managers and project participants.
Leveraging allocations from the Resource Center, this dashboard gives visibility into supply and demand at various levels of granularity: overall, as full-time equivalent (FTE) resource, by role, and by user. This dashboard is intended for resource and traffic managers.
Leveraging scheduled hours on tasks, this dashboard gives visibility into availability by role and user. This dashboard is intended for resource and traffic managers.
This dashboard shows hours and timesheet approval statuses by user and by project, letting you easily identify who has and hasn’t filled out or submitted their timesheets. This dashboard is intended for project managers and team leads.
This dashboard gives visibility into how time is being spent, letting you easily see which activities people are spending the most time on and how productive your company is with its time. Time is broken down at various levels of granularity—by activity type, by billable vs. non-billable, by project, and by user. This dashboard is intended for resource managers, managers, and directors.
This dashboard measures the efficiency of roles and users by comparing actual, scheduled, and allocated time against available time. This dashboard is intended for resource managers, managers, and directors.
Custom Dashboards and Reports
By default, Account Administrators can manage and create custom dynamic dashboards. You can clone the standard dashboards and modify them according to your requirements, or create new dashboards and build them from scratch. For more information, see the Using the Dashboard Editor article.
Facts, attributes, and metrics are the building blocks for new reports and are also necessary if you want to make changes to cloned standard reports. Each one pulls specific pieces of information from Kantata OX.
- Fact—The raw, numeric data elements that can be aggregated by metrics. Facts appear in the report editor with a numeric (“ ”) icon.
Example fact: Time Entry: Time In Minutes
- Attribute—The qualitative, categorical data that is used to aggregate reports; attributes are the how of reporting and are commonly used for dates, projects, user IDs, etc. Attributes appear in the report editor with an alphabet (“ ”) icon.
Example attribute: User: Name
- Metric—The numerical values and calculations that appear in reports; metrics are the what of reporting and are commonly used for fees, actual hours, etc. Metrics appear in the report editor with a calculation (“ ”) icon.
Example metric: Hours Actual (defined as
SUM(Time Entry: Time In Minutes)/60)
Use the facts, attributes, and metrics table to find the data you need to create the dashboards and reports you want. For more information, see the Using the Report Editor article. For specific business needs, contact your Client Success representative to learn more about building custom dynamic dashboards and reports.
1. Dashboard Title
The dashboard title appears at the top of the dashboard. Standard dashboards have a Lock (“ ”) icon beside the dashboard title to indicate that they cannot be edited.
2. Dashboard Actions
In the upper-right corner of every dashboard, the following actions are available:
- Favorite—Adds the dashboard to the Favorites section at the top of the Insights left navigation menu.
- Clone—Creates a clone of the dashboard, allowing you to make modifications without affecting the original dashboard. This option only appears if you have access to Manage Insights dynamic dashboards.
- Share—Opens a modal where you can select which access groups should have access to the dashboard. You can quickly share a dashboard with multiple access groups at once when you share from here. This option only appears if you have access to Manage Insights dynamic dashboards.
- Delete—Permanently delete the dashboard. This option only appears if you have access to Manage Insights dynamic dashboards.
- Advanced—This option only appears if you have access to Manage Insights dynamic dashboards.
- Open in Advanced Editor—Opens the dashboard in the Advanced Editor, where you can edit the dashboard in a more focused view.
- Open Report Editor—Opens the report editor in the Advanced Editor, where you can view and edit reports in a more focused view.
- Open Data Model—Opens the Insights data model in the Advanced Editor. The data model provides an interactive visualization of the relationships between Kantata objects and their metrics, attributes, and facts. This can be used as a reference while building custom reports. Note that the data model may take a few minutes to load.
- Edit—This button only appears if you have access to Manage Insights dynamic dashboards and only for custom dashboards.
Tip: To make changes to a standard dashboard, you must first clone the dashboard from the Dynamic Dashboards page, then edit the cloned dashboard.
- Export to PDF—Available via the More (“ ”) menu, this option saves the dashboard as a PDF file. Any currently applied dashboard filters will also be applied to the export.
- Schedule emailing—Available via the More (“ ”) menu, this option allows you to set up a recurring email of the dashboard to your desired recipients. See the Schedule Dashboard Emails, Report Exports, and KPI Alerts article for more information.
Below the dashboard title are filters that allow you to filter data in the reports on the dashboard. If the dashboard has many filters, select Show all to see all the filters.
To filter a dashboard, click the filter, select one or more options, and then click Apply. For attribute filters, you can search for values, check or uncheck all options, or click Only to quickly filter by one value.
4. Section Title and Description
If added, you’ll see titles and descriptions that describe the various sections of the dashboard.
5. Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
Usually added directly below the filters, a Key Performance Indicator (KPI) provides information for a single metric. KPIs are typically used to display important business metrics so that it’s easy to identify current project, financial, and resource health at a glance and whether things are trending positively or negatively. You can set up an alert to be notified via email when a KPI value goes above or below a specific value.
You can hover over the Info (“ ”) icon to the upper-right of the KPI to see the metric description.
Each dashboard contains a variety of reports that provides information on one or more metrics and attributes. Reports can appear as different chart types, such as a table, pie chart, bar chart, etc. Hover over the Info (“ ”) icon to the upper-right of the report to see its description.
You can interact with the data in a report in various ways, including the following:
- Clicking column headers to sort tables
- Clicking items in the legend to include or exclude data from a chart
- Hovering over bars and points in graphs to see the data values
- Clicking a project name to open the project in a new tab
Hover over a report, then select the More (“ ”) icon to access the following options:
- Explore from here—Opens the report in the report editor. From the report editor, you can see more detailed information about the data in the report (such as attribute and metric names and descriptions), make changes to the report, and clone the report. For more information about the report editor, see the Using the Report Editor article.
- Export to XLSX—Downloads the report as an XLSX file.
- Export to CSV—Downloads the report as a CSV file.
- Schedule export—Allows you to set up a recurring email of the report to your desired recipients. For more information, see the Schedule Dashboard Emails, Report Exports, and KPI Alerts article.
Data Refresh Rate
Insights dashboards refresh on a half-hour basis. Every 30 minutes, the system takes a snapshot of your data, processes it, and then loads the new data into Insights.
You can click the Details button at the top of a dashboard to get detailed information about the data currently in the dashboard and see when the next refresh will complete.
The sections in the pop-up will vary depending on whether a refresh is currently processing or not.
- Current—This section provides information about the data currently available in the dashboard.
- Snapshot—When the system took a snapshot of your data. Note that any data entered in Kantata OX after the snapshot time will not appear in the dashboard until the next refresh.
- Completed—When the dashboard was refreshed.
- Refresh in Progress—This section provides information about the refresh that is currently processing.
- Started—When the system took a snapshot of your data. Any data entered in Kantata OX before the snapshot time will appear in the dashboard when the refresh completes.
- Est. Completion—When the dashboard is estimated to refresh.
- Next Refresh—This section provides information about the next refresh. The times are estimated based on historical data.
- Est. Start—When the system will take a snapshot of your data.
- Est. Completion—When the dashboard is estimated to refresh.
- Refresh History—This section displays a list of the last 48 refreshes. The Snapshot time, Completed time, and Status of each refresh is displayed. This list helps you understand the frequency of refreshes and lets you monitor the status in the rare event of an outage.
The Insights Advanced Editor gives you direct access to more reporting tools, including behind-the-scenes access to the Insights data model and other tools to help support more robust report-building use cases.
Through the Advanced Editor, you can edit clones of standard dashboards and any custom dashboards you’ve created. Note that you must first clone a standard dashboard or create a custom dashboard in Kantata OX before you can edit it in the Advanced Editor.
The Insights Advanced Editor is available to members who have access to Manage Insights dynamic dashboards via the Insights access group set. To access the Advanced Editor, select any dynamic Insights dashboard from the left navigation, then to the upper-right of the dashboard click the Advanced button and select Open in Advanced Editor.