Estimation occurs prior to the start of a project to ensure that you have the time and resources necessary to be successful. With our Resource Estimates functionality, you have the ability to prepend estimated hours to every resource assigned to a task. This can be done one of two ways:
- Set resource estimates in your project Templates. This time-saving method ensures that tasks are ready to go without much need for individual adjustment.
- Alternately, you can create estimates from the Scheduling section of the task Details panel to get a better feel for an individual's contribution to a task.
Resource estimates add another layer of granularity to your project and help streamline workflow. They indicate how many hours are forecast in your templates for similar projects and allow you to compare your estimates to the actual time that was tracked.
How to Set Resource Estimates in Project Templates
- Click on Templates from the left navigation. Alternately, you can hover over Templates and select one of the Recently Accessed.
- In order to create a resource estimate, you must first create a list of resource placeholders. To do this, click the green Add button ("
- Now assign your newly-defined resources to a task. With the Tasks tab selected, provide time estimates within the right column of the Resources section (e.g.
2h30). Doing so will pre-populate your resource estimates when projects are created from this template. This makes scheduling hours easier from the Resourcing tab of a project or the Scheduling section of the Task Details side panel.
- When finished, be sure to Save your template.
- When you’re ready, click Project from Template to create a new project.
Alternately, you can create a new project by selecting Projects from the left-side nav bar and then clicking on Add Project from there. If you go this route, be sure to select a project template from the Template section so you can pre-populate your tasks and resource estimates.
- In the Template Preferences section of the Create a New Project page, you’ll want to map your resource placeholders to the specific individuals who are going to be doing the actual work.
- Configure other project settings and permissions as needed. When you are ready, click Create Project.
- Now that a project has been created from your template, the individuals mapped to your resource placeholders will appear (alongside their associated task assignments) in the Resourcing tab of a project. Notice that your team member’s estimated hours have been pre-populated.
- If you’re not satisfied with the outcome, estimated hours can always be manually adjusted by clicking inside the Estimated Hours cell and providing a new time.
- Estimates will also pre-populate your distribution options in the Resource Shaping tool, which makes it easier when these hours are applied and become scheduled hours. Click here to learn more about our resource distribution options.