The Resource Center automatically accounts for individual time off, scheduled weekends, and company holidays assigned via Settings > Schedule. Unnamed resources use the default workweek/holiday calendar.
How to Allocate Resources by Percentage
When you allocate a resource in the Resource Center, you’ll assign it as a percentage of the member’s available capacity between the start and end of an allocation. A team member's capacity is determined by their workweek, time off, and holiday calendars.
For example, if a team member is working a normal 40-hour week, and you assign them to work on a project for 25% of their workweek, the Resource Center automatically allocates 10 hours to that project for that team member. This is helpful if you’d like to utilize all of a member’s available hours across several projects.
How to Allocate Resources by Hours
You can also allocate resources by the total number of hours. You can do this either by typing the exact number of hours in the allocation modal or dragging the appropriate number of days/hours across the timeline.
The number of hours assigned to each resource per day is based on the account default workweek or any custom workweeks that have been set for individual team members.
For example, if one of your members normally works 4 hours per day and you assign them to work 3 days on a project, the Resource Center automatically allocates a total of 12 hours to the project for that team member.
How to Split an Allocation
There are times you may want to split an allocation for a single resource in order to separate the available time for a project into two separate allocations. For instance, you may need a designer to devote 80 hours of their available hours during the first week of a project and 20 hours of their available hours during the second week. To do this, right-click on the allocation on the day you want the time to split, and then select Split Allocation. The allocation splits, and a new allocation is created.
When you split an allocation, both the old and new allocation will contain the same percentage, but the hours may vary depending on where you split the allocation on the timeline.
How to Allocate a Resource
- Hover over Resourcing in the left navigation and select Resource Center.
- On the Resource Center page, select the Projects tab.
- Find your project in the Projects list and click the arrow to the left of the name to expand it. You’ll see all the named and unnamed resources that have been assigned to the project.
- On the timeline to the right of the resource, select the day that you want the allocation to begin. Alternatively, you can also click and drag through several days.
Note: For information on creating multiple allocations based on scheduled hours, see Create Allocations from Scheduled Hours.
- When the Add Allocation modal appears, you can manually set the starting and ending dates, allocation by Percentage (or Hours), and designate whether or not the allocation is Soft or Hard.
- Click Save to apply your changes.