How to Categorize Non-Billable Time
Various time elements are put into different buckets in the All Actual Hours Breakdown tab in the Utilization dashboard. You can categorize non-billable time into Productive, Admin/Internal, Time Off, and Holidays using the following special strings:
- [PTO]—Non-billable time off or PTO hours
- [ADMIN] or [INTERNAL]—Non-billable non-productive hours
You must include the brackets.
You can categorize non-billable time for reporting in Insights in one of two ways: by Project, or by Group.
To categorize by Project, add the appropriate string, including the brackets, to either the first characters or last characters of the Project Name or anywhere in the first 224 characters of the Project Description.
To categorize by Group, add the appropriate string, including the brackets, anywhere in the group name.
Note that it is possible to place an [ADMIN] project in a [PTO] group, which can result in double counting of hours. We recommend using only the way that best fits how you use Mavenlink.
As a result, the definition of hours in these specialized reports work with the following rules being applied in the order as written:
- Billable: Any and all hours on Billable projects are viewed as such.
- Admin/Internal: Any hours that are non-billable and are on Projects/Groups coded as [Admin] or [Internal] as defined above.
- PTO: Any hours that are coded at [PTO] as defined above.
- Non-Billable/Productive: Derived from the total of ALL Non-Billable hours minus those categorized as Non-Productive or PTO. As a result all Non-Billable hours are categorized in one of these buckets.
- Over/Underused Capacity: All hours are subtracted from the Total Capacity (defined as Workweek Hours) to determine if less hours were logged that the organization's Capacity (under) or more (over).