The new Master Planning update is now available at no additional cost. Before you update, however, it's important to thoroughly read and understand our article on how to Enable New Master Planning.
Master Planning streamlines resource management using a single, easy-to-use, visual interface. Unbound visibility into your resources lets you quickly manage change and make better business decisions based on resource supply and demand. After all, we know that effectively managing your resources is one of the primary factors that contribute to the success of your business.
Master Planning gives you the ability to:
- Manage allocations for all resources throughout your organization.
- View workloads and availability across multiple projects at a glance.
- Easily see how efficiently your resources are being used in projects.
- Adjust overallocated and underallocated resources as necessary.
- Track changes to projected budgets in real-time.
With Master Planning, you can see how estimated hours from your initial project timeline translate into actual resource schedules. This allows you to more efficiently staff your projects, set baseline resourcing strategies, and assign resources to tasks based on allocations. What’s more, you’ll be able to use performance and historical data to update templates and continually improve future resource management processes.
How to Use Master Planning
The visual Master Planning interface give you a comprehensive overview of resources, project timelines, planned and projected budgets, and team member information—including skills, roles, and allocated hours.
The page is divided into two sections, with an initially collapsed Resources List on the left, and the Allocations Timeline on the right. When collapsed, each row in the list provides a quick summary of project, resource, and allocation information. However, each row can be expanded to see additional, detailed information, such as the individual projects to which resources are allocated (and whether they are over or underallocated).
The filters and functionality of the resource list and the timeline change depending on whether you've selected Team Member or Project from the Group By drop-down menu located in the secondary toolbar. This toolbar is located just below the title of the Master Planning page.
- When grouped by Team Member, the Resources List displays a list of team members that can be filtered by availability, allocation type, member, role, and skills. Individual team members can be expanded to see the projects to which they’re assigned.
- When grouped by Project, the Resources List shows a list of unarchived projects that can be filtered by group, provider lead, allocation type, and status. Each project row shows the project's budget and number of named resources on the project; you can expand these rows to see the individual team members and unnamed resources allocated to each project.
- When grouped by Team Member, you can see an overview of workloads and availability. Each bar is a visual representation of how your resources are allocated over a selected period of time. You'll be able to see the percentage of time allocated to each resource, including those which are overallocated.
- When grouped by Project, the time allocated to each resource is displayed. At a glance, you’ll be able to see workloads and availability across multiple projects, as well as an up-to-date projected budget.
- New! - Enable New Master Planning
- Master Planning Overview
- Master Planning: Resource List Overview
- Master Planning: Allocations Timeline Overview
- Master Planning Filters