Mavenlink's integration with QuickBooks allows you to seamlessly synchronize invoice and payment information. In addition to automatically creating QuickBooks invoices when major milestones are completed, but also track time and expenses and see what payments have been made. Bridging the gap between projects and accounting helps minimize data entry time and provides more accurate, up-to-the-minute project and budget reports.
- The QuickBooks invoice and payment sync includes support for Time & Materials and Fixed Fee projects.
- Invoices generated by Mavenlink are pushed to QuickBooks and may contain the following information:
- Time Entries, Expenses, Fixed Fee, and Additional Items as line items.
- Time Entries or Expenses synced as independent QuickBooks transactions are associated with corresponding invoice line items using the QuickBooks Online linked transaction feature.
- When an invoice is fully paid in QuickBooks, a payment is logged in Mavenlink.
- When an invoice is voided or deleted in QuickBooks, it is canceled Mavenlink.
How to Create an Invoice for QuickBooks
- Once you have time entries and/or expenses that you’re ready to invoice, hover over Billing from the left-side nav bar and select Invoices.
- Choose to create an invoice for QuickBooks.
- Select the project(s) for which you are billing. As you start typing a project name, the project field will populate with a list of projects for which you're the provider. As you create new projects, you'll see them appear in the list.
Note: Only projects that have a QuickBooks Customer/Client mapped will appear in the list.
- Next, set the details such as invoice title, project code, purchase order, QuickBooks tax percentage, date, payment schedule, and any notes that you deem necessary to apply. Mavenlink will automatically increment the Invoice Number, so you can start with any number and your invoices will increment from there; optionally, you can manually update the invoice number each time.
Note: This is the Mavenlink invoice number. You have the option of pushing this number to QuickBooks during an invoice sync. In order to do this, you first need to disable the auto-numbering functionality in QuickBooks. Next, an Account Administrator must enable the Use Mavenlink Invoice Number as the QuickBooks Invoice Number check box on the Map Account Settings tab of the Intuit Settings page.
If you do not wish to use the Mavenlink invoice number, QuickBooks will generate its own invoice number, which we store for future reference.
- If the project(s) you've selected have fixed fee tasks, uninvoiced time, or expenses, then the Time Entries, Fixed Fee Items, and/or Expenses sections will be available. Check the boxes next to individual line items in these sections to add them to the invoice.
- Items that require approval will not appear until they have been approved.
- Time Entries and Expenses that have not been synced with QuickBooks will show an 'unsynced' status. If you choose to include these in a QuickBooks Online invoice, they appear as line items on the invoice and will not be linked to the corresponding time or expense activity. Since QuickBooks Desktop invoices do not support linked transactions, all Mavenlink's time and expenses will appear as line items on a QuickBooks Desktop invoice, regardless of whether they've been synched.
- Fixed Fee tasks that have not been mapped to a QuickBooks Product/Service will appear, but can not be selected. You must first map these tasks to services from the QuickBooks Task Configuration section in the project's QuickBooks Settings. This section can be accessed from the Actions (“ ”) drop-down menu located to the right of the project name.
- You also have the option to Add an Additional Item (or items) that may not have been entered during the initial creation of the Mavenlink project.
Note: If you have not defined your QuickBooks Default Product/Service Item for Invoice Additional Item in the Map Account Settings section of the Intuit Settings page, you will be unable to add Additional Items to a QuickBooks invoice.
- Once you’ve provided all the required information and line items, click Save for QuickBooks; you will be able to review your invoice and send to QuickBooks. Time entries and expenses added to this invoice will no longer be editable. Clicking Clear will remove any information you’ve added and all the options you’ve selected, allowing you to start over.
- After clicking Save for QuickBooks, you’ll be able to view the invoice, including its current Status.
- Click Send to QuickBooks to send the saved invoice to QuickBooks.
Note: If you are using QuickBooks Desktop, the invoice enters the 'pending sync' state. You will need to run the Intuit Web Connector sync to push the invoice to QuickBooks Desktop.
- When you Send an invoice to QuickBooks, notification will appear in the project’s Activity Feed. In addition, when an invoice is voided or deleted from QuickBooks, you will be notified with a Canceled status.
Note: Once an invoice has been sent to QuickBooks, you will be unable to cancel it from Mavenlink; you must Void or Delete the invoice in QuickBooks to cancel the corresponding invoice in Mavenlink.
- After the invoice has been received marked as paid in full by QuickBooks, the payment will be recorded in Mavenlink automatically; the updated status will then appear in the Activity Feed and when you view the invoice in the future.
Note: When syncing data, Mavenlink does not accept partially paid invoices from QuickBooks.
Note: If you are using QuickBooks Desktop, you will need to run the Intuit Web Connector sync in order for Mavenlink to process paid, voided, or deleted QuickBooks Desktop invoices.
Related Billing Articles:
- Send Time and Expenses to QuickBooks
- Create an Invoice for a Single Project
- Create an Invoice Across Projects by Client
Related QuickBooks Articles: