The Insights Details side panel consists of three sections; Details, Dashboards, and People.
The Details section of the Insights Details side panel is where you set the default group(s) that new Account Administrator and Reports Viewer-level members are automatically assigned.
- You may only have one Admin Default and one Reports Viewer Default access group per account.
- You may choose to not have any default Access Groups; in this case, you will need to configure the Access Groups for each Account Administrator and Reports Viewer manually.
- The Access Group of an existing member does not change when their permission level is updated to Administrator or Report Viewer.
- Members with the Project Lead permission level (or below) are not added to an Insights Access Group automatically. For example, you must manually add every new Collaborator to an Access Group if you want them to have Insights access.
To make the Access Group you are currently viewing the default for Admins or Reports Viewers, check one of the following boxes:
- Admin Default—Check this box if you want new (or unassigned) Account Administrators to be automatically assigned this Access Group by default. If no default has been set, you will need to manually configure their group. An existing member who has already been assigned an Access Group will not be reassigned if their permission level is updated to Administrator.
- Reports Viewer Default—Check this box if you want new (or unassigned) Reports Viewers to be automatically assigned this Access Group by default. If no default has been set, you will need to manually configure their group. An existing member who has already been assigned an Access Group will not be reassigned if their permission level is updated to Reports Viewer.
Note: If the Admin Default or Reports Viewer Default are already set in another Access Group, it must be disabled there first before it can be assigned to another access group.
WHAT THE MAVENS KNOW
If you don’t want all of your Reports Viewers to have uniform access to Insights, you can disable the Reports Viewer Default group. Then, you can create your own Access Groups and assign your Reports Viewer members manually.
The Dashboards section of the Insights Details side panel shows the dashboards accessible to the members belonging to this Access Group.
- Search—You can search for a specific dashboard in the Dashboards table; this is a reductive search that narrows what you currently have available to choose from.
- Show in Navigation—Controls whether the people belonging to this Access Group can access specific dashboards from the Insights section of the left-side nav bar. Keep in mind that anyone in the group with a valid URL can still access the dashboard when this setting is disabled; this is useful if you want feedback first before making new dashboards available to the group.
Note: You may need to refresh your browser for these changes to take effect.
- Remove Dashboard—The Remove Dashboard (“ ”) button only removes a dashboard from the current Access Group, it does not permanently delete a dashboard from your account.
- Add a dashboard—This is a predictive text field that will start offering suggestions based on words in the dashboard name and/or the first letters typed.
The People section of the Insights Details side panel shows which members belong to this Access Group and allows you to add members who are not currently assigned to another group. Members can only belong to one Access Group at a time.
You can also choose whether to give Edit capabilities to individual members. When a member has Can Edit capabilities, it allows them to create their own reports; this also gives them access to all account data, regardless of what's shown in their dashboard(s). We strongly recommend limiting Edit rights to your administrative report builders.
- By default, only members with Account Administrator permissions have dashboard Edit capabilities.
- Members who lack Edit capabilities can still change the filters that are made available to them on Insights reports.
It may take up to 15 minutes for the system to sync when you first check the Can Edit box.
The quickest way to add multiple account members to an Access Group is by using the People section. However, you can use also assign members individually using the Insights Access Group section of the member Details side panel.
You can give Insights report capabilities to people who aren't at the Account Administrator or Reports Viewers level, such as Project Leads or Collaborators.
- Search—You can search for a specific member in the People table; this is a reductive search that narrows who you currently have available to choose from.
- Show users in other access groups—If you need to assign a member who isn’t appearing in the table, it may be because they’ve already been assigned to a different Access Group. Check the Show users in other access groups box to see members who have been assigned to other groups. Adding a member who is currently assigned to another Insights group will remove them from their current Insights group.
- Can Edit—By default, this box is only checked for Account Administrators. If you don’t want a member to have Edit access, disable this setting; this will remove the Edit icon (“ ”) from their dashboard toolbar the next time they visit Insights.
When Can Edit is enabled, your member has the ability to create dashboard reports containing all your account data. To ensure that a member can only see data that applies to them, do not check this box.
- Remove Member—The Remove Member (“ ”) button removes a member from the current Access Group, but does not permanently delete them from your account.
- Add a person—This is a predictive text field that will start offering member suggestions based on the letters typed.
You can give Edit capabilities to people who aren't Account Administrators, such as Project Leads or Collaborators.
For instance, let's say you create an Access Group intended for Collaborators, followed by a dashboard that shows information only your project collaborators can access.
Let's go a step further and say you grant Edit rights to a member with Collaborator-level permissions. Although they can still only see that dashboard, they can now edit the dashboard and create a report containing any data accessible from Insights.
In other words, this member now has complete access to your account data—which could pose a significant security risk.
The Can Edit setting is a powerful feature that should only be enabled for administrative report builders. Everyone else should be View Only consumers of the report; this way, they can manipulate reports using the filters you provide, but they cannot Edit, and therefore, not access data for which they're restricted.
- Insights Glossary & Reference Guide
- Insights Attributes, Metrics, and Filters
- Insights Overview
- Insights Settings
- Insights Advanced Editor
- Insights Scheduled Data Exporter
- Ways to Categorize Non-Billable Time
- Utilization Dashboard
- Time & Expense Admin Dashboard
- Staffing & Capacity Dashboard
- Project Health Dashboard
- Project Detail Dashboard
- Fees Dashboard
- Fees (legacy) Dashboard
- Resourcing Dashboard
- Margin & Cost
- Scorecards Dashboard